Signposting B < download the sheet >
Duration : 2h00 -
Distance : 7,437 Km -
Height range : 87 m -
Bridlepaths : 5 km -
Marked footpaths : in progress -
Difficulties : none -
Half the ramble is made in sunken lanes.
In the old days, sunken lanes constituted a very important network in the Norman bocage.
Lots of hedges and footpaths have disappeared since the fifties.
Mairie : 02 33 37 26 90
- Park in the area close to the church.
The entrance to the car park is on the route to Magny-le-Désert.
Take the road facing the church porch and go past the Mairie.
At the wayside cross, take the road to the right.
- Just after the stop, turn right along C308, in the direction of La Mercerie.
Continue straight ahead. The lane comes out onto D916.
Go right along D916 for 100 metres, then cross over with care.
Follow the road C5 (no through road) in the direction of La Grande Blétière.
Leave the road at the wayside cross and continue straight ahead on the large cart track.
- Take the first lane on the left. When you arrive at the small road, turn left and about ten metres farther take the footpath on the right. At the end of the footpath, take the lane on the left. Then follow the sheet at point 6
- Take the second sunken lane on the left (do not count the private lane in a wood marked) : Propriété privée.
The lane veers towards the right: cross a small stream then, at the end, turn left and immediately right onto the lane where motor vehicles are prohibited.
- Take the first sunken lane which rises to the left (in the forest between sections 22 and 21, on the right is a lane reserved for accessing the lake of La Lande Forêt).
Continue straight ahead to the end of this lane.
- Turn left. Go along the road.
Cross D916. Careful.
Follow C 266 and go back to the village of Beauvain.
The parish of beauvain
The parish of Beauvain already existed in 1099.
The village is divided into three communes : Beauvain, La Ferté-Macé and Magny le Désert.
It is situated in the Norman bocage and stands on the watershed between the Channel and the Atlantic ocean.
The village is constituted by granite houses which are sometimes surrounded by high walls.
The church has a lantern-tower and outside stairs.
The nave and the fortified tower date back to the sixteenth century.
A few marks of the twelfth century remain under the porch.
The church was extended and modified from 1850 onwards.
The altarpiece of the right chapel has parts which date back to the sixteenth century.